Monday, February 26, 2007

When The Unexpected Show Up

No, I'm not referring to the in-laws.
Early in January, when we were in Florida, our son Colby, became sick and was diagnosed with pneumonia. We, of course, had taken him to a local hospital since he was running a fever and would not sleep (it was the middle of the night). We only had to wait a couple of minutes before we were ushered out of the waiting room, and into the area where he could be examined. A couple of nurses were on the scene and soon after a couple of doctors. The service was very good and rather quick, compared to what I've experienced here in Canada, at times.
After some discussion, Colby was given some medication, had a couple of needles, had some x-rays taken and was given a couple of prescriptions to make sure that he was well.
Of course, while we were still there, a hospital accountant came in for a visit. He took our information - including our health insurance - and went off to make sure that we could pay for all the good care that we received. A short time later, he came back and told me that I needed to come and speak with my insurance carrier. After a 20 minute conversation, I was assured that they would take care of everything.
Well, today, the unexpected showed up. A bill from the hospital totalling my weekly salary. Ouch!
Often in life, we encounter the unexpected - a sickness, a death, a job-loss, a bill, a rejection - and the list could go on and on. Generally speaking, these type of situations have a negative affect on us. We perhaps, become discouraged, disillusioned, or even desparate.
Obviously, there are times when the "unexpected" are moments of happiness. Perhaps someone gives us an unexpected gift, or takes us out for a meal, or says something nice to us out of the blue. These are moments to appreciate and enjoy.
However, much of the time, we experience the 'unexpected' in the difficult events of life. As a Christian, how should I react to these events? Put on a smile? Pretend that it doesn't get me down? Re-state that there undoubtedly is someone worse off than me?
I have my thought on this matter - But I'd like to hear from you first. What should be my reaction - as a Christian - when unexpected difficulties come my way? Let me know @ pastorken93@hotmail.com
I'll share my thought with you next Monday.

"Send Revival. Start with me."

Pastor Ken

No comments: