Monday, March 12, 2007

Part 2

As you may have noticed, I'm a week late in getting to my blog. Sorry for that. I've now adjusted the blog so that anyone can leave me a 'comment' feedback - please feel free to do so.
What should be my reaction - as a Christian - when unexpected difficulties come my way? That was the question that I last left you with. Well, speaking from my own experiences, I often react in the following ways - frustration, anger, worry, grief, disillusionment, sorrow, etc. Of course, depending upon the severity of the difficulty, that determines my exact response.
Some would suggest that a Christian is somehow isolated from the 'reality' of these difficulties (ie: sickness, a death, a job-loss, a bill, a rejection). All we need to do is spout a Bible verse, put on a plastic smile and keep on keeping on. How foolish. Whether we're a Christian or not, we're still human. Feelings are present; uncertainties persist; questions about the future stare us in the face. But I'm learning to understand that it's not the severity of the difficulty that matters nor is it the reason for why it happened all that important. Lessons can be learned, of course, but there's more to the story.
While my reaction to these things may mirror those of an average person (Christian or not), it is the Hope that a believer has in Christ that can make all the difference. Now, the example that I shared last time of the unexpected hospital bill may not shout "HOPE OF CHRIST", but God cares about such things (Blue Cross has since taken care of the bill). When we go through a divorce, God cares; when a spouse dies, God cares; when severe sickness comes, God cares; when we lose a job, God cares...it doesn't matter how large or small - if it affects us, then God cares and He cares deeply.
But it doesn't stop there. If it did, it wouldn't be Hope. I recall being in a deep state of hopelessness. I didn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I had suffered a great blow and I didn't know what was ahead, and in many ways, I didn't care. Life just 'sucked', for lack of a better word.
But through it all, I had Hope that God was there with me and that He would somehow work things out. In the midst of frustration, anger, worry, grief, disillusionment and sorrow - God showed me that He could heal my hurt; help me get beyond my bitterness and allow me a rebuilt life. You see, it wasn't my circumstance that needed changing, it was me. I trusted Him, though it took awhile to do so completely, and I re-discovered that He is faithful.
So, is a Christian's reaction any different to life's circumstances? Perhaps not. Some of us carry on while some complain. Yet at the end of the day - a Christian has a Hope that none other has - but He is available to all who truly ask.

"Send Revival, Start with Me."

Pastor Ken

No comments: