Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Say 'Awwwww...'

Today, I was at the dentist. I had the privilege of receiving the 2nd of 3 fillings I need due to cavities. I've never been particularly fond of the dentist - but neither have I particularly minded it. It's one of those things in life that I endure, knowing that it's for my overall benefit.
However, I need to evaluate why I had 3 cavities that needed attention in the first place. Of course, I could blame the snack food industry and the pop conglomerates - for, after all, their treats are filled with sugar and teeth rotting ingredients. It should be obvious that its their fault for forcing all their tasty morsals my way. In reality, I could be seen as the victim for years of being force fed those vile snacks. I mean, it really is true, 'you can't eat just one'.
And yet, somehow, I don't think that that argument will work. I guess that no one really forced me to indulge.
Perhaps, it had more to do with the fact that I hadn't been to a dentist in 6 years, prior to moving to Truro. Since July, I've been to see him 4 times. That's 4 times in the last 10 months or 4 times more than I'd been to a dentist in the last 72 months. Ouch! I guess the dentist did say that it could've been worse. Perhaps that explains why I have 2 more visits scheduled in the next 3 months.
Oh, it's fun catching up...all the needles, drills and rinses.
As I think about our spiritual life (walk, journey), I wonder how often we might let things slide, like I did with the dentist. You know, the walk with God stuff. Reading the Bible - not just to do it, but to discover the riches that God wants to say to you on that particular day or moment; spending some thoughtful and soulful time in prayer - for the lost, as Jesus called them, and for the presence of God to be evident - really evident - like the 'old-timers' used to talk about; or about making a difference to those in difficulty or need - thinking beyond ourselves (which I find quite easy to let slide).
As I discovered with my cavities, if we allow the 'routine' things (ie: dentist visits) to pass by, there is a price. Could it be that same way in our spiritual life, if we skip over or take lightly the things that God uses to make us like Him?
Wonder what the church would look like if we all skipped our God visits. Would it look differently than today?
What do you think? Let me know...I appreciate your feedback.

"Send Revival, Start with Me"

Pastor Ken

1 comment:

Kirk said...

Pop will kill you. diet pop will also kill you. Just thought you'd like to know.