Monday, June 18, 2007

Glad for Dad

Even though yesterday was an active day for me (2 services plus a nursing home service), it was an enjoyable Father's Day. The weather was nice and I had a chance to spend time with my son. Ever since Thursday, Colby has been telling me that he bought me a present. He never spilled the beans to tell me what it was, but he certainly was excited about it. April told me that at first, he tried getting me a bag of chips, then a kids swimming pool - but finally settled on some golf items. I'm certainly glad to be a father. Colby brings so much joy to my world.

I was also thinking of my own father yesterday...and had the chance to call him last night. I don't tell him very often, but I'm also very glad that he's my dad. I have tremendous memories of doing things with him as a boy; and still enjoy spending time with him today. In more ways than one, he's my role model. I can only hope to be such a father to my son.

I came across this article the other day, and thought that it might be appropriate to post it here. Among so many great things about my dad, I'm glad that he is a Matt. 7 kind of man.

"A minister concluded his sermon one Sunday by saying, "If there's someone here who wants help in getting to know God, and you would like me to pray for you, please raise your hand." A young man stood up and said, "Please pray for me, sir. The burden of my sin is too heavy to bear."

After the service, the minister talked with the man and led him to faith in Jesus. The young man had been wandering around the country for 8 years without contacting his parents, so he decided to write to them and tell them about the change in his life.

Several days later, a reply came from his mother: "My dear son, you must have accepted Jesus Christ at the same hour your father went home to heaven. He had been sick for a long time, and that day he was very restless. He tossed from side to side on his bed, crying out, 'Lord, please save my poor, wandering boy.' I'm sure that one of the reasons you became a Christian was Dad's unceasing intercession."

A praying father will "ask," "seek," and "knock" in behalf of his children, persistently trusting his wise heavenly Father to do what is best (Matthew 7:7-11)."
(From the 'Our Daily Bread' daily devotional; June 15, 2003)

Happy Father's Day!

"Send Revival, Start with Me."

Pastor Ken

No comments: